"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be." - Shel Silverstein

Monday, December 8, 2008

The Story Of Us Part I

First of all, I would really like to thank all of you who left words of encouragement, support and love. I really appreciate you all helping me through my rough spots. It helps more than you'll ever know.

*******************************************************

Since I only recently started this blog and many of you readers might not "know" us, I thought I would give you some background into who this little family is and how we started on this journey together.


It started back in 1989. I was a freshman in high school, (yes I know I am dating myself!) and Jeremy had just moved over the summer from California to the little town I grew up in called Pagosa Springs. Pagosa Springs is a town in the southwest corner of Colorado, about 60 miles east of Durango.


Jeremy was a long-haired, ripped jeans and heavy metal t-shirt wearing kid. I was intrigued by him the moment I laid eyes on him. I would not say I was attracted to him, but he was definitely different than anyone else I had ever met (you know, in all my 14 years). He definitely was not my type. I was the preacher's kid from nowheresville, USA and he was the heavy metal dude from California. But I was intrigued.



(Sorry for the poor picture quality. I don't have a scanner so I had to take pictures of pictures)



Freshmen... so young!!


In January of 1990 he started hanging out around me and my friends. We had a couple of classes together and I always thought he was kind of weird. Nice, but weird. We lived close to each other and rode the same bus. He even worked at the rec center where my family often went swimming. He started hanging around more and more and he was becoming less and less weird to me.


On February 13, 1990, he asked me to be his girlfriend. I said yes but I asked him why he didn't ask me out the next day (Valentines Day). He said he couldn't wait any longer. Too cute! For the next three years we had an on-again off-again relationship. We had dreams of being together forever but of course we were just kids. Finally at the end of our Junior year we started talking again after several months and decided to give it one last shot. We have been together ever since.



My yearbook senior picture 1993



This pic was taken right before we took our last final for senior year

I will spare you all and continue this long story in another post.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am going to have to find some pics from my 16th birthday party that you two were at, over at Jennifer’s house. They will make you blush :-) I did not remember him working at the rec center, even I am learning new things and I grew up with you. I hope that you have a better week and you can keep your chin up.

Lots-O-Love

Elizabeth

Nana and PaPa said...

Oh my gosh! At first glance that last picture of you and Jeremy?....YOU....look like Katelynn! What do you think? That was my split second moment of thought and even wondered "why did she put a picture of KATELYNN in here!" Look back and see what you think....love to both of you and Rissa Roo!
Love,
Nana (aka Mom)

Michelle said...

I've been "stalking" your blog off and on. I keep forgetting to add you to my list. I think your little girl is about the same age as mine and she too has a trach. I don't think I've met anyone IRL with a trach the same age as my girl. Anyway, not to get too longwinded...although I'm not happy your sweetie had a pukefest in her bed, I was very glad to see how you went about bathing as this has been a very precarious thing for me lately. Thank you for sharing. Michelle

Michelle said...

OH MY GOSH!! I love the hair Jeremy had!!!! I remeber he was mean to me!! Both of you were. I didn't like him at all! I thought he was mean and you were mean. And when you two were together it was double mean.

(Then again, I do apologize for the Paula Abul! What a great tortue device!!!)

But time goes on and now I love you and Jeremy! And of course I love little Rissa Roo too! Now you are not so double mean to me!

Love you!
Auntie Chelle

Anonymous said...

I cant wait for part 2! I love hearing stories about how couples met and ended up together.

Thanks for the comment. I really appreciate it!

Anxious AF said...

You have been together soooo long! That is awesome!

Anxious AF said...

Oh! I got your ornaments today!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Anonymous said...

So, it will be fun to see how part two goes...wonder if our little "house boy" will get a mention. That seems so long ago doesn't it? Alicia, do you remember all the mix tapes we made in your bedroom of the pink house before Jer came home? So many memories...love you guys.
Katie

Anonymous said...

Nothing says love like a mix tape! Not even Hallmark has been able to capture that kind of magic.

Tara said...

Oh my goodness....that was forever ago wasn't it? Alyssa asked me once why I call you Bill if that's not your name. I told her that you've been Bill our ENTIRE friendship. And some things, will never change! :)

Love you guys!

Hope said...

What the ......? You can't just stop in the middle of a story! You're killing me. ;)