"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be." - Shel Silverstein

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

24 Hours From Now...

It's almost surgery time. Ugh. So not looking forward to this. But, who would?

If you want a refresher on why Marissa is having surgery, read this post.

We have to be at the hospital at 8:15 tomorrow morning and then surgery is at 10:15 (MST). It is a standard in-patient surgery with the standard 3-5 day hospital stay and 6-8 week recovery.
In addition to the general prayer of her being alright through the whole ordeal, I have a few specific prayer requests:

Anesthesia:
She has gone under general anesthesia several times with a problem only one time. She spiked a fever, flushed bright red all over her body and started breathing really hard and fast. This came on all of a sudden and was very scary. It turns out she had a histamine reaction to the anesthesia and we got it under control pretty quickly. Please pray that she has no adverse affects from the anesthesia.

PICU vs Peds Floor:
We are not sure where she is going to be admitted after surgery. Most trach kids go to the PICU after surgery, but we just don't know. Please pray that she will go to PICU as we feel it is best suited to her needs.

Manageable pain:
Marissa is one tough cookie, but she has not had surgery since her trach and g-tube were placed. She was only two months old at that time and they kept her paralyzed and very sedated for a long time afterward. We don't know how she will react to surgery pain this time. Please pray that it never gets out of control for her. I don't want my baby in pain. :(

Discharge:
Marissa is also a mover and a shaker. She does not like to sit still for long at all. When she was in the hospital for pneumonia last May, the third through the fifth day were hell because she was feeling better and navigating her way around the crib a lot. She was constantly getting tangled in her millions of tubes and wires and I literally only sat down when she slept. And she was only 14 months old at that point! Please pray that discharge comes quickly after she is feeling well enough to move around a lot.

Recovery:
Marissa tends to regress a little in her development and therapies after she is sick. Please pray that she will recover quickly and get back to her normal spunky self soon.

I was talking with my sister Michelle on the phone this morning and Marissa was getting into everything she is not supposed to, like usual. I could not finish a sentence without having to interrupt myself and discipline her. I told my sister "please remind me that I am going to miss this!" :)

I will try to update the blog as often as I can tomorrow and the days following. The hospital has internet access and I have been able to access blogs in the past, in a certain part of the hospital. Other times, I have had trouble accessing blogs and sites like Facebook. So if you don't hear from me, don't assume the worst. At the very least, I will have Michelle update the blog when she gets off work. For those of you who have my phone number, feel free to call and leave a message if I don't answer. I will try to return your call as soon as I can.

We are so blessed to have found such a supportive network of friends in addition to our long-time IRL friends and family. You all have always come through for us when we needed you and it gives me great comfort to know that we have so many angels surrounding us.

Thank you.


14 comments:

Hope said...

I will be praying for Marissa, I promise. I know you're scared and I wish I could hug you. I'll be checking your blog often. Give her hugs from Ava. The great thing is that Marissa is young and will bounce back in no time. They are resiliant little things.

Elizabeth said...

You will all be in my thoughts and prayers all day. I love you all so much and even though I have never met Marissa in person I feel that I know her and love her just the same. Take care of yourselves tomorrow. Hope to hear from you soon. Hugs and kisses all around.

Elizbaeth

Anxious AF said...

Yopu will all be on my heart...I just got Alex's surgery on the claendar, we have months not hours. Thinking of you...Keep us updated.
I wish I was there:)

Kendra said...

Thinking of you and you will all be in my prayers.

Finding Normal said...

Many prayers for all of you. Don't forget--get out of that waiting room right after you get updated. The movement will ease the stress. I promise!

Myssie@PendletonMarket said...

I will be thinking and praying for you and Marissa! Keep us updated!!

Dana said...

I'll be praying for you guys as well. Remember HE's going into that room with her too. I will be watching for the updates. Take care. Remember take something to distract yourself as much as you can during the surgery. Take her favorite things. She will do fine. She is such a wonderfully stong.

Michelle said...

My prayers are always with you, Jeremy and Marissa. Just remember, I'm here for you and you can count on me to help in any way you need.

Love you!
Auntie Chelle

Anonymous said...

Thinking of you guys today! I do so hope that the surgery goes well, that Marissa does well with the anesthesia, also that she recovers fast and pain free. You are such a brave and strong Mother. Marissa must get it from you.

Tamara said...

Oh little one we are thinking of you and that this is easy and quick to recover from. I can not wait to meet you in March! (((hugs))) from me and Abigail! Momma, remain strong and be of good courage! If I can meet you there after the surgery, while she is in the hospital to bring you something warm to drink or just the company, please call me! I will e-mail you my number!

Hope said...

I'm thinking of you all today! Praying........

Alicia said...

Hey all,

I can't sign into my blog here in the hospital, but I wanted to let you know that Marissa made it out of surgery just fine. Everything went by the book. I'll have my sister update the blog later this evening. Thank you all again for your prayers.

Alicia

Nana and PaPa said...

We will continue prayers for Marissa. Prayer chains in Pagosa Springs and Grand Junction are activated. We are all praying for a safe surgery and quick recovery. We love you guys. Let us know if you need my help. The trial has been postponed for the moment. Love you guys.
Love,
Nana (Mom) & PaPa

Anonymous said...

Marissa and her docters have been in my prayers all day. Hope you all can feel the love all the way from NC! I will check back tonight for updates!
Love, Sandy