"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be." - Shel Silverstein

Friday, June 4, 2010

Rissa's Poem

*ETA* Surgery time below

I wanted to share a poem that Marissa's Grandma Utah (Jeremy's mom) wrote for her recently. It is so cute and pulled from real life situations. It represents Rissa and my struggles with her temper tantrums perfectly.

A little back story first. The other night, Marissa had asked for a pretzel. I gave one to her and, in typical Rissa form, she threw a tantrum instead of taking it from me. So, on a whim, I decided to recall Daniel Day-Lewis' performance in "There Will Be Blood" and said "I eat your pretzel. I EAT IT UP!!" I then proceeded to eat her pretzel. She immediately let out this blood curdling scream. I felt bad but could not help laughing. Jeremy and I laughed so hard that Marissa eventually joined us in laughter. So Grandma Utah incorporated the incident in her poem.

Enjoy.

When I’m strong and headed for

A tantrum filled with alarm

My mommy frowns and sits me down

And holds me in her arms.

I don’t know what it’s called,

or I forget the word,

of the thing I’m pointing at

which somehow you misheard.

How can I make the sound

With a stick stuck down my throat.

And form a word you understand

No..I didn’t want a boat!

And then one day I just gave up.

My mouth was not pronouncing,

I want to hear that song again

You know…the one where I was bouncing.”

And the toy you gave me yesterday

Was what I really wanted

Then changed my mind because I can,

Fell on the floor, taunted.


The pretzel looked so good to me

I pointed and you retrieved.

Then once again, I threw a fit

You didn’t look so pleased.

So in your mouth you popped my treat

And down your throat is went

My, my, what a face I made

And showed you how to vent.

With indecision, I’m a child

Who has to be creative.

With every word or gesture made

So you get what I am saying.

I need your eyes, your ears your mouth

As extensions of my own.

To learn the way you do those things

So I can stand alone.

Not by myself or in the shadow

Of every normal thing.

Just independent from all of this

To sleep at night and dream.




Thank you, Janice. That is a wonderful poem! We love you!

Something might come up in the next week to change my mind, but this is probably going to be the last post before Marissa's surgery next Friday, June 11. *ETA* She is scheduled for surgery at 9:00 am. I will update from the hospital when I can. Please pray for my girl next Friday. Pray for us, for the doctors and nurses, and for our family. Thank you.

6 comments:

Nana and PaPa said...

LOL....Huge Kudos to Janice!! She has a talent for words that I wish I had! But you and she are right...this is a pretty good picture of what happens. Thanks Janice!
And of course, I will be activating the prayer chains at our church in Pagosa Springs and Grand Junction for next Friday. I look forward to being with you next week. Hugs and kisses for little Miss Sassy Pants....

Royce said...

What a beautiful poem! Even more special coming from Grandma! My prayers will be with you as you prepare for and go through the surgery. May God bless you all!

The VW's said...

What a cute and funny poem! This will be a good thing for you to look back on some day and to show to Marissa as proof of what a handful she is! HA!

I'll be thinking of you guys and praying! I hope that you are given peace of mind as you await this big day! Love, Hugs and Prayers!!!

Candace said...

That is hilarious! I just love it! You totally need to print that off and hang it where you can see it every day! Darling and perfect...

ANewKindOfPerfect said...

That poem is awesome! It's touching and funny at the same time. :)

I will definately be thinking of you next Friday. That is the day of Peanut's Special Olympics at school. I hope all goes well, I can't wait to hear.

Michelle said...

Janice rocks!!! What a good poem. And it sums up Marissa so well!!
Prayers will start coming your way soon...
Love you,
Auntie Chelle