"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be." - Shel Silverstein

Monday, January 25, 2010

Odd One

I heard a song on the radio a while back that made me stop and really listen. It is by a band called Sick Puppies (yes, go ahead and chuckle...) and it is called "Odd One". The lyrics just spoke to me. I looked on the internet to see if I could find out more about this song and the meaning behind it. I couldn't find any information on it but in general, it is clear that the song writer is speaking of someone who doesn't fit in with society's perception of "normal". Personally, I picture the song writer singing to a person in his life with a physical, mental or intellectual disability.


Just for clarification, I do not see the song writer's use of the term "Odd One" as derogatory. If you listen to the whole song and pay attention to all the lyrics, you might see it as I do. I believe the song writer uses the words "Odd One" as a term of endearment. Feel free to disagree with me once you have heard the song but please listen to it with an open mind. Be sure to listen all the way through, one of the best lines of the song comes right at the end.


So... what do you all think?

11 comments:

Nana and PaPa said...

Wow.....very interesting. I agree that the lyrics are not a derogatory statement....it's like they understand that the person they're saying this to is an "odd one"; is different, but that's OK. And in the eyes of other people the "odd one" is not OK because of a difference. The song writer is accepting of the "odd one" where others are not. Other people see this "odd one" as unacceptable because of the differences...different than themselves and not as good as themselves. Very interesting that a "heavy metal" song addresses an issue like this....THAT seems "odd" to me..lol
Love,
Nana & PaPa

Lacey said...

I think that was a great song. Its not derogetory at all. Some people are super sensitive and think everything is derogetory!

Kendra said...

I like Nana and Papa's comment. It seems they're taking a name someone may have intended as derogatory and are using as an endearment. I think it could fit almost anyone who needs encouragement, but definitely people deemed "odd" by society in general....Good song! (And now I know who Sick Puppy is....;) )

Kendra said...

I mean, "Sick PuppIES."

Momof5 said...

Very cool and only you could get me to listen to the Sick Puppies!!!

Hope said...

I don't think it was derogatory, I agree it's endearing. :)

Michelle said...

I agree that it is a term of endearment.

Nice song!

Love,
Auntie Chelle

ANewKindOfPerfect said...

I looked up the lyrics, and they are perfect. :)

Colleen said...

Great tunes! I'm curious what the meaning is behind it too..if the song writer has a story.

The VW's said...

I think that this song could really apply to lots of people. We are all different and like they say, "That's what makes the world go round!"

As for being derogatory, I think that he is saying the term "Odd One" with affection. He even talks about wanting to be like this "Odd One", so obviously he finds this person endearing.

I know that many look at those with decreased mental abilities as being "Odd" or not worthy, but I have always found these people to be more endearing than half of the general population! Gavin has especially taught me that being "different" doesn't mean it's a bad thing, in fact, in some ways it's a great thing! Gavin has taught me that so much in this life just doesn't matter and that I shouldn't care so much about what other people think of me!

I sometimes wish that I could be more like Gavin and have a smile for everyone and not have as many cares of the world.

Great song....it got me thinking! I like that! :)

Love and Hugs!!!

jess said...

This song just had its music video made and its a lot easier to understand with watching it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rb6e6rpltVo . its essentially about even the thing that seems like the worst curse can be an amazing gift..that anything you think is wrong with you isnt..its a song about hope....visit this forum to read more about the band..if you like this song you'll love the rest. www.sickpuppies.net